The large companies with an innovation challenge this time are Carbogen Amcis, Cargill, Cosun, Dow, Efteling, Renewi, SABIC, Sagro, Saver and Zorgsaam. Six of them are newcomers to the programme, four have participated before.
The idea behind BioVoice is the request of a large company for a bio-based or circular solution to an existing problem. SMEs and start-ups can submit their idea or solution and earn an innovation contract; the key to concrete cooperation with large companies and an extensive system of funding and support.
The challenges of 2021:
- sustainable weed control (Saver);
- separation and recycling of cellulose and plastics (Zorgsaam);
- energy-efficient processing of water from biomass and
- valorising sodium sulphate (Carbogen Amcis);
- biodegradable biobased fertiliser coatings and
- alternative technology to demineralise syrups (Cargill);
- Composite wind turbine blades recycling (Sagro);
- Post separation of glass and plastic particles from Orgamix (Renewi);
- High-quality application for digestate (Cosun);
- waste separation for PET and can packaging (Efteling);
- Prevent loss of plastic granules (Dow);
- Preventing, reducing or adding value to lime sludge waste (Sabic).
In 2019 and 2020, there were also BioVoice rounds, with a total of 16 innovation issues. It led to 31 concrete cooperation projects between large companies and SMEs/start-ups. These partners are now working together to develop the idea to pilot scale and further upscaling.
A pilot budget of € 240,000+ is available for this round. Deadline for submission is 21 May 17:00. More information and a full description of the challenges can be found on the BioVoice website.